Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Top 100 Chapter Books

I found this list on Pinterest, http://childrensbooksguide.com/100-best-childrens-chapter-books-of-all-time and becoming a reader in the last few years, I started thinking. I have never read a "classic". I don't read books on lists. I have decided I am going to give several of these a try. I have written down 39 of these books that appeal to me. I will be giving them a try.
1. The Phantom Tollbooth - Noton Juster
2. The Giver - Lois Lowry
3. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
4. The Mysterious Benedict Society - Trenton Lee Stewart
5. Tuck Everlasting - Natalie Babbitt
6. Island of the Blue Dolphins - Scott O'Dell
7. The Bad Beginning -
8. Number the Stars - Lois Lowry
9. Maniac Magee - Jerry Spinelli
10. Julie of the Wolves - Jean Craighead George
11. Elle Enchanted - Gail Carson Levine
12. Shilo -
13. The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
14. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
15. Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder
16. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
17. Wonder Struck - Brian Selznick
18. Fablehaven - Brandon Mull
19. The Witch of Blackbird Pond - Elizabeth George Speare
20. The Watsons Go to Birmingham, 1963 - Christopher Paul Curtis
21. The Westing Game -
22. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry - Mildred D. Taylor
23. When You Reach Me - Rebecca Stead
24. Bud, Not Buddy - Christopher Paul Curtis
25. The Penderwicks - Jeanne Birdsall
26. Frindle - Andrew Clements
27. The BFG - Roald Dahl
28. Sarah, Plain and Tall - Patricia MacLaughlin
29. The Secret of the Old Clock - Nancy Drew
30. A Long Way From Chicago - Richard Peck
31. The Book of Three - Lloyd Alexander
32. Walk Two Moons - Sharon Creech
33. The Witches - Roald Dahl
34. The Thief Lord - Cornelia Funk
35. My Side of the Mountain - Jean Craighead George
36. Out of the Dust - Karen Hesse
37. Johnny Tremain - Esther Forbes
38. Where the Mountains Meet the Moon - Grace Lin
39. The Little White Horse - Elizabeth Goudge

As I read these, I will be marking them off the list. Most everyone of these are very much out of my reading element. I am trying to step outside the box and try something new. I am ready for some new adventures in my life. I have read a few of the books on the 100 list. But they were the more common Percy Jacksons and Harry Potters. It is time to branch out! Feel free to leave comments on these or suggestions for other books whether they are kids or adults. I do have a 1 year old and 10 year old that can use suggestions.


No comments:

Post a Comment